Blog Archive

Sunday, November 20, 2011

Driving again

The loss of independence once spinal cord injured is hard enough to overcome, but the thought of never being able to drive one's self again can be very discouraging.  There is light at the end of the tunnel if you wish to drive again on your own.
The thought of never being able to drive to the store, to visit my friends, to make it to a doctor appointment, etc. was almost to much for me to bare initially.  I was saddened by the very thought of it.  Two years following my injury I started to drive again!  I had bought a ramp van that I could drive into and drive right from my wheelchair.  It was  so easy to me from the get go.  A spinner knob was attached to my steering wheel and the van was adapted with hand controls, and before you knew it I was off and driving.  These hand controls can be added to any car vehicle as well.


Here is a link with some helpful information:
http://www.christopherreeve.org/atf/cf/%7B3d83418f-b967-4c18-8ada-adc2e5355071%7D/Cars%20and%20Driving%205-09.PDF

No comments:

Post a Comment